Stablewars Announcement

Any site related announcements from the Admins/Mods will appear here.

Moderators: Mackinlee, Franchise

Rookie_Monster
Mr. Workrate

Re: Stablewars Announcement

Post by Rookie_Monster » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Now you're just sounding douchey about it.

Ryden
Jobber

Post by Ryden » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Rookie_Monster wrote:Now you're just sounding douchey about it.
Sorry if it comes off as stern but when it comes to web security it would be irresponsible for is to ignore or tip toe around it, especially a flaw as critical as this.

Another foreigner interested in that round ball game

GM Bike
Post Whore

Post by GM Bike » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:17 am

KaneOosty wrote:It's noble for members to want to keep the community running well, but a full fledged site needs constant attention, we dedicate ourselves to get issues fixed immediately, even in the past day I have found PHP vulnerabilities on this site (ie, check the access permissions for language/en/acp of the phpBB (forum) folder immediately) which can be used as a path for outsider SQL injection - with that form of access anyone on the outside could bring down the site and empty the database in a line of code. If we weren't legitimately looking for a aligned future we wouldn't of had contacted StableWars, I certainly wouldn't have told you about a vulnerability needing urgent attention or would I take time to answer any concerns. If I was looking to just take the site, with a few lines of SQL I could due to the security holes that currently exist. But I'm not here to do that. We are all about helping the community beyond just paying the bills.

These are problems that have to be fixed now and not "soon in the future" it could be far too late by then.
It seems like you've contacted the site at its most vulnerable.

Firstly it's clear financial backing isn't an issue for SW. Secondly, since the current owner took over this site he has always fixed any issues in a timely fashion and kept up-to-date with all the phpBB stuff. He's been busy personally and others here like Franchise have taken over and managed to fix some issues, and I assume will continue to. Including any PHP vulnerabilities. Also, even if someone "brought down the site" I believe it's backed up on a regular basis, so all wouldn't be lost.

In the end it IS up to Watsuki, and the regulars here know he doesn't want any shake-ups or "mergers" at the moment nor do we. The contributors to the site have a voice as well and the majority have declined to be involved with merging with FNX. Maybe down the line people will warm up to the idea.

Also this, where exactly would Stablewars be found on your site? Under the Forum section? Under Pro Wrestling? Or is your intention to have SW be THE Forum on FNX?
ImageImage
ImageImage
First & ONLY 6 AND 7-Time Stablewars Champion
17-Time Titlewars Champion, Current Quad Champion (RAW/NXT/ROH Tag & ROH TV)
Longest Reigning Champion All-Time (1,316 Days)
16-Time PPV Champion
2017 WWE & ROH PPV Grand Champion

nWo 4 Life
🤘

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:48 am

KaneOosty wrote:
Spoiler!!! :
Franchise wrote:Not sure the exact number but it's paid for at least 7-8 years. Not only that, but Mack and I have pretty much all the access we need now after exchanging emails with Suki recently. We have fixed quite a few issues already with several others expected to be done in the near future. For what it's worth, Suki didn't sound to me like he was interested in giving up ownership now either.
As I mentioned in the previous post it should be checked that the 7-8 year is a reflection of domain registration or hosting as these are two separate things.

Beyond that, we aren't just offering to pay the bills but also to build upon the platform with direction given by the current hierarchy of Stable Wars. We will work with the admins and mods of Stable Wars and at the end of the day you guys will still have the final say on what Stable Wars future holds.

It's noble for members to want to keep the community running well, but a full fledged site needs constant attention, we dedicate ourselves to get issues fixed immediately, even in the past day I have found PHP vulnerabilities on this site (ie, check the access permissions for language/en/acp of the phpBB (forum) folder immediately) which can be used as a path for outsider SQL injection - with that form of access anyone on the outside could bring down the site and empty the database in a line of code. If we weren't legitimately looking for a aligned future we wouldn't of had contacted StableWars, I certainly wouldn't have told you about a vulnerability needing urgent attention or would I take time to answer any concerns. If I was looking to just take the site, with a few lines of SQL I could due to the security holes that currently exist. But I'm not here to do that. We are all about helping the community beyond just paying the bills.

These are problems that have to be fixed now and not "soon in the future" it could be far too late by then.
First, please don't sit here and start lecturing us about this and that. We fully comprehend the difference between domain reg and hosting so please do not try to treat us like infants. And furthermore, whatever it is you are trying to assert or use as a scare tactic for, we are ALL SET right now. The hosting, domain reg, InterNIC fees, etc, every freaking thing you can think of, has ALL been taken care of for *at least* 7-8 years. *WE* are fixing php/html issues as they come about. *WE* are adding new features. And *WE* are making sure that this site continues to be the same innovative site it has always been. I'm sorry if you think less of us, or think *WE* need your help, but until our owner agrees with your vision or whatever it is you are trying to sell us on, *WE* are going to be just fine. So, please, I beg you, go back to wherever it is you came from and let us do our thing. You are free to join any season or game you want, but please, I implore you, stop with this nonsense. Again, we have our own Vince McMahon, and he is the one that will ultimately make any decision on this domain. But I can promise you that, at this time, it most likely won't be to your liking.
I'm a Bobby Lashley Guy bayby!

- 5x SW
- 30x TW
- 2x PPV
- 3x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 3x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 3x Jobber Wars
- 2x Bracket Brawl
- 6x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing
- 1x SW Draft
- 1x Play-Per-View League

KaneOosty
Jobber

Post by KaneOosty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:16 am

GM Bike wrote:where exactly would Stablewars be found on your site? Under the Forum section? Under Pro Wrestling? Or is your intention to have SW be THE Forum on FNX?
Stable Wars would be listed as Stable Wars. Our Forum has been deactivated and not active for some time, it is on the site now in an archive form to allow access to our previous content for members. Right now our activity comes in the form of our articles, blogs, podcasts and videos. We believe Stable Wars will benefit from the traffic we receive as we will be able to incorporate forum content with our articles, blogs, etc. We have bloggers and podcasters willing to associate their shows with the forum in the form of promotion, competitions, etc.
Those blokes from FNX who send Tweets like Nigerian Royalty.

KaneOosty
Jobber

Post by KaneOosty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 am

Franchise wrote:I mean, what could they possibly need access to the database for? Or any other part of the site for that mater?
The back bone of phpBB is SQL and considering most of the site is on the phpBB side of things access would be required to call for the content that is being associated with each post. All of these posts are being stored via SQL, if we were to have a big article on say WrestleMania 31 and at the end wanted to link related posts on phpBB regarding WrestleMania (let's say someone creates a thread "Who do you think will win the main event at WM31?") the page will be able to query the SQL database, find that article and link it automatically. The best part, it is dynamic so if a new thread is created after the article is posted it can still be displayed as the SQL query occurs on page load.

KaneOosty
Jobber

Post by KaneOosty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:45 am

Franchise wrote: First, please don't sit here and start lecturing us about this and that. We fully comprehend the difference between domain reg and hosting so please do not try to treat us like infants.
I'm not lecturing, I'm clarifying. Some people don't know the difference as I've witnessed during previous occupations of one-to-one web development dealing with clients in the past. One should never assume things, it's better to ask the questions. If I offered to fly you personally across the country right now, I shouldn't be offended if you asked if I was licensed to do so.
Franchise wrote:And furthermore, whatever it is you are trying to assert or use as a scare tactic for, we are ALL SET right now.
I'm not using a scare tactic, I pointed out an existing flaw in the active system. No matter where the information comes from, wouldn't you want members to let you know if they have found a problem? I ran FNX on phpBB during the second year of operation before moving to a CMS and so I know my way around the system (not all, it has changed a fair deal since then but I try to keep familiar with most systems) and the common areas that aren't so secure. I'm sorry if you felt belittled, I was just pointing out an area that needed work.
Franchise wrote:The hosting, domain reg, InterNIC fees, etc, every freaking thing you can think of, has ALL been taken care of for *at least* 7-8 years. *WE* are fixing php/html issues as they come about. *WE* are adding new features. And *WE* are making sure that this site continues to be the same innovative site it has always been. I'm sorry if you think less of us, or think *WE* need your help, but until our owner agrees with your vision or whatever it is you are trying to sell us on, *WE* are going to be just fine.
I appreciate your confidence, that is key to running a site. However I also think it is only fair if other members have input too. There are people on this thread alone that believe it is a good idea so I think it is only fair that they can have their say - for or against. I will assume the "we" as your own opinion, which you are free to have just as much as anyone. I agree that it is up to the owner in the end, however this thread is here for constructive discussion and I am happy to answer questions which is all I have been doing.
Franchise wrote:So, please, I beg you, go back to wherever it is you came from and let us do our thing. You are free to join any season or game you want, but please, I implore you, stop with this nonsense. Again, we have our own Vince McMahon, and he is the one that will ultimately make any decision on this domain. But I can promise you that, at this time, it most likely won't be to your liking.
I am not asking to obstruct the operation of the site, I also don't think this thread is nonsense as it appears it is something which has different opinions on and the whole point of a forum is an open discussion and should not lead to anything personal (unless it is a thread regarding the subject). You should know this is not a personal attack or threat or anything in that nature. Reading the last post it does seem you are taking this partially personal, however this leads to the discussion taking a turn. In the end, no matter what the decision, we should be able to leave the round table satisfied that the matter was handled appropriately.

Matt Sin
Hall of Famer

Post by Matt Sin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

This has gone on too long. The answer has repeatedly been no.

I'll say what no one else has....politely fuck off and go find some other site to leech off of.
Expand... :

ILCN
Post Whore

Post by ILCN » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:02 am

1 of 8 people on a dying website.

MMH
Superstar

Post by MMH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:37 am

This Post Has Been Brought to You by the Mega Mega Network

Mackinlee
Hall of Famer

Post by Mackinlee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

Oh God. So much for behaving in an etiquette manner.

MVH
Legend

Post by MVH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm

KaneOosty wrote:
I appreciate your confidence, that is key to running a site. However I also think it is only fair if other members have input too. There are people on this thread alone that believe it is a good idea so I think it is only fair that they can have their say - for or against.
Who?

Also, I completely agree with Franchise. There is no problem that we can not fix ourselves. Hosting costs are so cheap that a year wouldn't even cost me one days pay.
I'm here... sometimes

--> Full List of Accomplishments <--

Matt Sin
Hall of Famer

Post by Matt Sin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Mackinlee wrote:Oh God. So much for behaving in an etiquette manner.
Because their constant whining and pleading just screams "etiquette manner".
Expand... :

Matt Sin
Hall of Famer

Post by Matt Sin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Expand... :

Mackinlee
Hall of Famer

Post by Mackinlee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Pleading, maybe. Whining, no. Other than the constant pushing, I thought they behaved themselves a lot better than they should have.