Database Upgrade (11/14/2014)

Any site related announcements from the Admins/Mods will appear here.

Moderators: Mackinlee, Franchise

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Database Upgrade (11/14/2014)

Post by Franchise » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:56 pm

I have finished cleaning and upgrading the new mysql database (restored from 3.0.5, deployed on a parallel forum, and now am just moving the requisite data to the new tableset). In order to move the latest posts/topics/pms over, I am going to need to disable the board shortly so there's no gap in posts and so forth. The main games like PPV and SW and TW should be accessible during this time as their tables are outside of the forum tables. I will post once I have finished this so we can monitor if the scrub/cleaning/upgrading resolves the sql errors. If not, gonna have to wait to hear back from Suki about contacting the host as I am out of ideas.
- 5x SW
- 31x TW
- 2x PPV
- 3x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 3x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 3x Jobber Wars
- 2x Bracket Brawl
- 6x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing
- 1x SW Draft
- 1x Play-Per-View League

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Re: Database Upgrade (11/14/2014)

Post by Franchise » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:39 am

This has been completed. While I got rid of the parallel forum I used to roll back to the previous version and test, we have two parallel copies of the database tables for the time being (albeit with some different data). This will allow me to quickly change, replace, or compare the data in case we have issues (such as specific forum based permissions would be my biggest fear). It shouldn't happen tho as I was meticulous with how I staged, diffed, and implemented this process. If anyone has any issues accessing things, please post here or PM me and I will look at it.

The new database schema/version/etc has already visibly corrected some weird errors I had seen before where certain pages (mostly in the admin tools section) were trying to access settings for a mod that was installed over a year or so ago to be tested but for some reason ended up remaining in the forum database. Since I wasn't aware that existed prior to asking Suki to change the PHP/MySql version at the host, it wasn't fully uninstalled, and also the database itself wasn't upgraded/migrated/cleaned properly prior to the upgrade. My hope is that taking these steps to sort of start over with the basic vanilla structure will alleviate the issues we've been having. If not, then I think we can rule the database itself out as the issue. The host would need to review the database server at that point.

I am going to subscribe to this topic in case anyone posts issues here, but if anyone sees sql errors, can you please PM the error message to me?

EDIT: One other thing I wanted to mention, I am rebuilding the search index right now. It will run automatically and shouldn't impact anything except maybe slower searches.
- 5x SW
- 31x TW
- 2x PPV
- 3x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 3x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 3x Jobber Wars
- 2x Bracket Brawl
- 6x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing
- 1x SW Draft

Mackinlee
Hall of Famer

Post by Mackinlee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm

:th:

MVH
Legend

Post by MVH » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 pm

I've had no problems since you updated the database!
I'm here... sometimes

--> Full List of Accomplishments <--

MVH
Legend

Post by MVH » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 am

I think you've fixed it 'Chise!
I'm here... sometimes

ILCN
Post Whore

Post by ILCN » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 am

Way to go!
1 of 8 people on a dying website.

Cochis
Legend

Post by Cochis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 am

you da MoFo man Chise! :th:

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:43 pm

It's been almost a week since this update was done and it *seems* to have corrected those errors. I haven't seen any since or gotten reports of any.

That said, there are two other minor issues I noticed: one caused by a quirk in the FTP during the upload and one a bug with the latest phpBB release:

- Attachments that were uploaded before the upgrade, and a few since as I tried to fix it, do not display. This was caused by the FTP as if the filetype is stored with no file extension (as attachments are) and you auto-upload them via FTP (which I did since the program is supposed to be smart enough to figure it out), they are transferred in ASCII format instead of binary. So those are lost as I cannot seem to get an uncorrupted version re-uploaded from my backup. Going forward there is no issue as the new ones will process fine.
- A known bug exists in the phpBB release with deleting individual PMs. If you click the little X to try to delete the PM, it just returns to the PM after you confirm you want to delete it. That is fixed in a DEV version of the software, but I will wait for the official release to install the fix. I'm told that's expected by the end of the month, but we shall see. For now, as a workaround, you can select the check-box of the PM(s) and then delete them by clicking 'delete marked' as that way still works fine.

One last thing, regarding this convo TK and I had in the other thread...
Texas Kelly wrote:
Franchise wrote:This is actually by design on my part. Since we had the password hash issue with SW/PPV reg for people that had logged in since the upgrade but not with those that had the remember me login keys set from before, I wanted the older hashed passwords to be rehashed with the new logic. To do that, I changed the expiration date of the the session keys from never to one day. I was planning to change that back after a few weeks to make sure the regulars had their passwords rehashed with the more secure algorithm. I will look at the database to make sure what I was trying to accomplish has been done and then will change it back. Was thinking about changing it to a week or two so you wouldn't have to re-login daily, but it wouldn't be infinite just in case some people were missed in the rehash. Technically I could manually run scripts to rehash and be done with it, but I don't want to create login issues so felt it was better to let the phpbb software do it.
Makes sense when you put it that way, although there will certainly be some stragglers that will go a long time between log-ins so I suspect that you'll probably need to run a script eventually. Either way, glad you're on top of things and that it's intentional and not a bug.
While TK makes a good point in that there will be stragglers, I wanted to leave the pw hash alone in the database so people that haven't visited the forum in a while will not have any issues logging in or playing SW/TW/PPV. I have bumped the remember me login key expiration to 7 days though. I plan to eventually bump it to 14 or 30 as infinity just seems like a bad idea.
- 5x SW
- 31x TW
- 2x PPV
- 3x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 3x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 3x Jobber Wars
- 2x Bracket Brawl
- 6x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing
- 1x SW Draft

PimpinSmurf
Hall of Famer

Post by PimpinSmurf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Sounds good man. I usually let my inbox fill up and delete them all at once when I need room.

I still get the Phantom PM that says you have 1 message, when you really don't, but it's more of an annoyance, than an actual problem.
"Cut my jeans into pieces. These are my badass jorts." (riff kicks in)

How I Got Over - Braun Strowman

MVH
Legend

Post by MVH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Apparently I have 5 PM's, but I don't have any. I've learned to live with it. I still don't know why that is though.
I'm here... sometimes

Franchise
Hall of Famer

Post by Franchise » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Yea I used to have that phantom pm thing before where it said no new messages but 2 unread or something. Don't remember exactly how but I had to manually go into the database to fix that. I'll see if I can run a script that returns the users that have an unread count > 0 and no actual new/unread PMs. Or jus manually reset the two of yours.
- 5x SW
- 31x TW
- 2x PPV
- 3x MITB
- 2x EWars
- 4x Survivor
- 2x TV Wars
- 2x Cup Games
- 3x PPV Wars
- 1x iWars
- 1x Ultimate Endurance
- 3x Jobber Wars
- 2x Bracket Brawl
- 6x Tag Team Challenge
- 1x Last Man Standing
- 1x SW Draft

Matt Sin
Hall of Famer

Post by Matt Sin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm

I have the same thing. 1 new message.
Expand... :

Da Mayer
Titlewars WWE Champion

Post by Da Mayer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:54 pm

I just have a problem trying to change avatars.
Longest & 1st ROH TW Tag Team Champion w/Viper
1st ever TW Divas Champion
1st Person to hold 3 women's TW titles
11x Titlewars Champion
9x PPV Champion
3x SASBY winner
2x MITB Winner
2018 Mens Proxy Rumble Winner
Creating Champions, Becoming Legends.

ILCN
Post Whore

Post by ILCN » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Why would you ever want to change that avatar?
1 of 8 people on a dying website.

GM Bike
Post Whore

Post by GM Bike » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:29 pm

Matt Sin wrote:I have the same thing. 1 new message.
Me too, I have 5 messages unread but I deleted them from my inbox before reading them.

Drives me nuts every time I see it.
ImageImage
First & ONLY 6, 7 AND 8-Time Stablewars Champion
17-Time Titlewars Champion, Current Tri-Champion (NXT/ROH Tag & ROH TV)
Longest Reigning Champion All-Time (1,316 Days)
16-Time PPV Champion
2017 WWE & ROH PPV Grand Champion

nWo 4 Life
🤘